The role of cell cycle regulatory protein, cyclin D1, in the progression of thyroid cancer
Lloyd, Ricardo V.
Hutzler, Michael J.
Patwardhan, Nilima A.
UMass Chan AffiliationsDepartment of Surgery
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology & Metabolism
Department of Pathology
Fluorescent Antibody Technique, Indirect
Medicine and Health Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCell cycle progression is facilitated by cyclin-dependent kinases that are activated by cyclins including cyclin D1 and inactivated by cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors (CDKIs) such as p27. Our previous studies have demonstrated decreased p27 expression in both papillary and more aggressive carcinomas of the thyroid compared to thyroid adenoma and almost similar level of cyclin D1 expression between thyroid adenoma and papillary carcinoma. These results indicate that CDKIs may have an important role in the carcinogenesis of the thyroid and that they probably have a limited role in malignant progression of the thyroid cancer. The role of cyclin D1 in malignant progression of thyroid carcinoma has yet to be established. We studied the expression of cyclin D1 by immunohistochemistry in 34 cases of conventional papillary carcinoma (CPC), 10 cases of minimally invasive follicular carcinoma (MIFC), and 32 cases of more aggressive thyroid carcinoma (ATC), which included 11 tall cell variants, one columnar cell variant of papillary carcinoma, seven insular carcinomas, and 13 anaplastic carcinomas. Cyclin D1 staining was classified by staining score as 0, negative; 1+, less than 25%; 2+, 25 to 50%; and 3+, more than 50% tumor cells staining positive. Kruskal-Wallis one-way ANOVA and Wilcoxon Rank Sum/Mann-Whitney U Test was used to assess the difference in the expression of cyclin D1 between the study groups. Twenty-eight out of the 34 CPCs were cyclin D1 positive, 24 (70%) were 1+, 3 (9%) were 2+, and one (3%) were 3+ positive. Seven of 10 MIFCs were cyclin D1 positive, five (71%) were 1+, and the remaining two (29%) were 2+ positive. On the other hand, 28 of 32 ATCs showed cyclin D1 immunostaining. Of these, three (9%) were 1+, five (13%) were 2+, and 20 (63%) were 3+ positive. This study demonstrates a significant overexpression of cyclin D1 in ATC compared CPC (P < .001) and MIFC (P < .005), suggesting that the cyclin D1 expression may play a role in tumor progression and may have prognostic significance in thyroid cancer.
SourceMod Pathol. 2000 Aug;13(8):882-7. Link to article on publisher's site
Permanent Link to this Itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/20.500.14038/38508
Related ResourcesLink to Article in PubMed